Thursday, July 27, 2006

O-kay. Hello. Welcome. I'll admit this is about the most techy thing I've ever done, and I'm substantially more astounded and mildly amused than proud of it at the moment. It'll sink in. But okay, on to formal matters. Seeing as this is my first and introductory post, I understand it's a bit long, but if you, the reader, can bear with this for a while you can understand the framework within which my mind operates, and it will be my pleasure to see you repeat your visits on many occasions.

I'm just one of the multitudes of bloggers I have ironically ranted against on several occasions. Not wanting to seem too hypocritous, I'll try my best to provide as intellectual and objective an opinion as anyone can hope to provide.

My manifesto: 1) I am a grammar Nazi. So don't expect too many short form words or shite articles. I pride myself on a rich vocabulary [the phrontistery is my friend] and an elite English education, so for those perfectionists out there, well. I mean, if I'm going to put something up where potentially billions of people can readily access and peruse its material contents I figure I may as well do a good job. And for those conscious people out there, yes I do swear on my posts, but as a born diplomat I do believe in keeping this to a minimum, so it doesn't distort the quality of my posts.

2) I write. A lot. I tend not so much to briefly opine as to rant in thousand-word essays and theses. Being the considerate anthropomorph that I am I will try to cut down on the length of posts, but be prepared to make some of my posts your nightly pre-bedtime read. This is not to mean the worth of the opinions I provide are diluted however. As I said I will try to provide an opinion that is worth your, the reader's, while to read. Nevertheless some of the boring details of my everyday existentiality are key subplots to a great many of the posts I will author, and it is my hope that you, the reader, will understand that the intermezzos are as integral as the climacticos, crescendoes and finales. In the best of moods my wit is unrivalled by anyone in my bedroom, so no guarantees, but hope for the best.

3)My interests. In order to understand this 'blog' it is imperative you, the reader realise my passions in life, so you'll know to get out quickly if this site bores you. First, trivia. Basically all forms of knowledge. I read like a library probably does after hours, and while I don't claim to know everything, I was always brought up to know a lot. So, unlike many 18 year old Malaysians I try to read up on many things which wouldn't ordinarily interest most people in the same age group. Religion, philosophy, nature, it blows through my mind like a gale, and yes, I will use a fair amount if the time is right.

Second, classical music. I am NOT, a modern music fan. Do NOT, ever ask for anything more than a negative opinion [and a thousand word rant] about the great largesse of modern music. My passion is Respighi, Bach and Mascagni. While I'm no great musical theorist [I quit in Grade 3 eight years ago] I will provide opiniated layman's reviews of selected pieces from time to time. Classical and instrumental [and no, Bond does NOT count!] form 99% of the music I listen to. Now you know.

Third, nature. I am, and always have been, a passionate naturalist and praise, I am now undertaking an opportunity to carry on in serious academic fashion, and am currently pursuing a Bachelor of Marine Biology in the University of Queensland, Australia. While nature may not figure much in most of my posts, you, the reader may understand why I will seem to discuss it so whole-heartedly if it does.

Fourth, public speaking. I did it a fair amount, was average, but I like the feel of being able to put forth an opinion, though there's a cynical side that says no one cares, whatever. It takes some skill and ability to carry forth an opinion, and while I may not do it the best I try, and it rubs off in many aspects of my writing. Because of that I love enhancing my vocabulary, and I LOVE Scrabble. My only board game. My children will play Scrabble.

Fifth, football. I watch, and I play. Hah, and you thought this was the website of your average weak pasty-faced nerd! And no, I will NOT call it soccer, I don't play soccer, I play football. And yes, I am elitist that way. I took it up about 3 years ago, and I was never really athletic, so I'm still not very good, but I don't think I'm half bad either. I'm blessed by being two-footed, and I can play most positions, indeed I often go through the lot of them in a single game. I don't support a single team, but more on all that later.

Sixth, gourmet. I have very, very learned taste. I was brought up to dine with kings and eat with vagabonds, to quote my grandfather, so I'll eat just about anything that isn't spicy [my only weakness]. I consider myself a sort of amateur sommelier, so a good drink will make me happy. And no, I did not pick that up from watching Sideways. I haven't watched Sideways.

Lastly, photography. Mostly nature, indeed I have logged nearly 20,000 photos since I got the family's first digital camera 4 years ago. I know I'm no expert, and I will not try to embiggen myself by posting all my crap here like so many bloggers do. I am no camwhore either, so don't expect to see any cheesy pics of myself in stupid positions anytime soon.

Well that's about it for now. If you're terrified of the prospect of ever returning to this webpage feel free to leave and never patronise it again. My main motto in life is "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" so productive or otherwise your opinion will be respected, but it won't affect me [love confessions of a mutual nature and declarations of open praise excepted of course]. It is my wish that I open out my heart to you, the readers, and that we all take away a little something that may inspire us in some unknown moment in our lives. This is a site of opinion, and I wish to share some parts of my life that connects us all to the matrix that is the Universe. So, here's to my blog, and I hope, a good experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home